Frequently Asked Questions
I have filed bankruptcy; however I received a debt letter. What should I do?
4.5 out of 5
You offset my Federal tax refund and I included the debt in my bankruptcy filing.
4.5 out of 5
I made several payments or my Federal tax refund was withheld prior to me filing bankruptcy.
Not Rated
Note: The viewed and rating columns will not be updated until you return to the home page or refresh this page.

If you are requesting a protest or assistance for any other debt, claim or payment, please see our other AskDFAS request forms, or Click Here to access the website.

If you did not find the answer you are looking for in the FAQs, fill out the request below and click on the "Submit" button. Please complete the following form and attach all necessary documents to ensure accurate processing.

Please Click Here for the ONLINE DEBT PAYMENT STATUS for immediate account balance information.

Thank You!

Your Information

If you are using spam blocking software on the email you provide, you may not receive any responses from our system. In order to ensure that you receive our responses please add: to your list of approved senders before submitting your item.
If you would like this information and responses sent to additional email addresses, enter them here. Separate multiple addresses with the semi-colon (;)
Enter a passcode to gain future access to your ticket.  In order to view your ticket's information, including the response from our representatives, you will need this passcode.  This passcode is unique to you and your ticket.  Use something that is easy to remember or write down your code and save in a safe location.  Passcodes can be 9 - 40 characters long and can contain any number of letters, numbers and/or special characters, but cannot contain your email address or name. (Passcode must be at least 9 characters and must contain at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and one number) 

Account number begins with CL, DE, IN, KC, or MS.  (ex. IN123J321)

If account number is not available, you may enter your social security number with no spaces or dashes.
Branch of Service for which you are inquiring.
Nine digit phone number including area code.  No dashes, spaces, or special characters.

Information and Documentation

This request form is for former Army/Air Force/Navy/Marine active, reserve or guard members as well as separated Civilian Employees who are submitting notification of bankruptcy on their out-of-service debt account.

In order to process your request, attach your bankruptcy information to this AskDFAS ticket.

Required - Court Bankruptcy documents.

Please provide a short explanation of what you are requesting.
Click here to make this box smaller Click here to make this box bigger
*At least 1 file must be uploaded.

Upload selected files to your ticket. If you have chosen to include files, you must click the Upload Files button before pressing the submit button to make sure they get included.
Submits your item to a customer service representative.
Cancels your inquiry and returns you back to the FAQ Page.
PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT: Disclosure of your contact and other information is voluntary. It is solicited for the sole purpose of responding to your inquiry or request. If it not provided, we may not be able to respond.